I am a printmaker and photographer, a biologist by training whose outlook as an artist is strongly influenced by my scientific background. I retired in 1995 from a career in genetics education, with an academic focus on population biology and ecology of organisms in space and time. When I turned my attention to art, I did not lose my interest in living things, so most of my art is grounded in an appreciation of nature and man's place in relation to other living beings. I hope my art will inspire the viewer to look more closely at the complexities of a world we are often too busy to look at. I do not have a single working style, and produce works across a wide spectrum of media and styles. They are united by a clarity of vision, precision of technique, and attention to detail.
Why Big Ant Studios?
Current and upcoming events:
- Bon Marché - Affordable print exhibition at Anne Street Galley, Safe Harbors of the Hudson, Newburgh, NY. June 1, 2017 - July 29, 2017.
- Glassell Student Exhibition, Glassell School, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX, May 31 - July 7, 2013.
- Impressions 2013, Print Matters Membership Exhibition Show, Nos Caves Vin, 2501 Wroxton, Houston, TX, June 7, 2013 - August 2013.
- Steamrolled III: A Journey, prints steamrolled at Rockin' Rollin' Prints, St. Arnold's Brewery, 2000 Lyons Blvd., Houston, TX, showing at Peveto, A Fine Art Resource Management Company, 2627 Colquitt St, Houston, TX 77098, June 15 - July 6, 2013.
- Past & Present: Printmaking Student Exhibition 2013, Glassell School of Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, May 20 - May 27 2013
- Photography Student Exhibition, Glassell School of Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Spring 2013.
- Print Matters, Houston - Membership Exhibition: October 18 - February 9, 2013, The Museum of Printing History 1324 W. Clay, Houston, TX; thence to Washington Printmakers Gallery, Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, 2nd Floor, 8230 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring, MD 20910 February 27 - March 30 2013 www.washingtonprintmakers.com; thence to The Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the A Lubbock, TX, http://www.lhuca.org/current.html
- New Year's Eve Group Exhibition featuring Street Artists from Houston: BeHuman Gallery in CityCentre Town and Country area I-10 and Beltway 8, December 31–January 30, 2013 8:00–12 MIDNIGHT, 12848 Queensbury Suite 204, Houston, Texas 77024, http://www.behumangallery.com
- Annual Student Exhibition, Glassell School, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston: June 1 to July 22, 2012.
- Fact, Fiction and Interpretation: Recent work from Glassell Studio School Photographers, Museum of Fine Arts Glassell School, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX March 26 - April 15, 2012
- Houston Interpretations: Selections from the Glassell Studio School Works on Paper Department, Tradition Bank Gallery, 5020 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX January 30, 2012 - February 10 2012
- "One-of-a-Kind" Monoprints, monotypes & unique paper structures, Museum District Eye Center and Gallery, 4704 Montrose Boulevard, November 5, 2011 - April 5, 2012
- SAO Select: A Student/Alumni Organization Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Glassell School, Tradition Bank Gallery, 5020 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX, September 19–30, 2011
- Print Matters 2011, Hooks-Epstein Galleries, 2631 Colquitt Street, Houston, TX June 4 through July 1, 2011
- Steamrolled, Gallery M Squared, Houston, TX Saturday, July 11-12, 2011
- Greetings from Houston: Vintage Postcard Views of the City, a postcard and current view on exhibition from July 13, 2010 until October 3, 2010 at the Heritage Society, 1100 Bagby, Houston, TX 77002
- An Exhibition of Bookbinding in Houston, Heights Branch of the Houston Public Library, 1302 Heights Boulevard Houston, TX Summer 2009
- Texas Grassroots: Botanical Prints by David J Webb The Museum of Printing History, 1324 West Clay Street Houston, TX June - December 2008
- Eclectic Visions, an exhibition of Watercolorists and Printmakers, Manhattan CoffeeHouse, 1804 26th Street, Snyder, TX November 8, 2008 - December 31, 2008
- The Positive Art Workshop Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts Glassell School, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX December 1 - 22, 2000
- Positive/Negative 2000: The Positive Art Workshop Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts Glassell School, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX February 15, 2000 - March 2000
- Positive/Negative: Photographs by ArtAccess Students, Museum of Fine Arts Glassell School, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX February 9 - 21, 1999; Houston Lesbian and Gay Community Center, 803 Hawthorne, Houston, TX October 27, 1999 - January 10, 2000
- Museum of Fine Arts Annual Gala, 2012
- Museum of Printing History Annual Gala, 2011 and 2012
Art Market Sales
- Winter Holiday Art Market, WHAM: in Winter Street Studios, Houston, TX. Annually since 2009.
- It Came from the Bayou, annually in the Spring at St. Arnold's Brewery. Since 2017.
- Scond Saturdays at Sawyer Yards, a monthly art venue. Periodically since June 2017.
- Steamroller, an annual event in April at St Arnold Brewery, 2000 Lyons Blvd., Houston, TX. (Since 2017 superseded by It Came from the Bayou). A performance art piece in which up to 60 large blocks are printed from a steamroller, an all-day event open to the public. 2009-2016.
- Winter Holiday Art Market, Winter Street Studios, 2101 Winter Street, Houston, TX annually since 2007
- Glassell School Student Sale, Museum of Fine Arts Glassell School, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX annually 1998-2015.
- The Annual Winter Holiday Sale, Museum of Fine Arts Glassell School, 5101 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX December 2000-2006
- Arts of Freedom Festival, West Gray Multi-Service Center, 1475 W. Gray, Houston, TX July 31, 1999
- Disabilities Arts Festival, West Gray Multi-Service Center, 1475 W. Gray, Houston, TX July 25, 1998
- Great Day Houston with Debra Duncan on August 13, 2010 for Houston Time Portal postcards.
- WHAM at Winter Street Studios at Culture Map.
- VAA Visual Arts Alliance posts pictures of my work session on collagraph etchings.
I am project-driven in my approach to art, and have a number of projects in continuous development:
- Escape from Wilshire Village - the last days of the apartment complex at Dunlavy and W. Alabama where I lived for 25 years.
- Houston Time Portal - postcards from Houston during the turn of the 20th century paired with contemporary views from the same perspective.
- Frozen in Glass - A series of salt prints and cyanotypes from original glass negatives of the late nineteenth century through the early twentieth.
- Flat Studies - I reduce reality to a single plane lifted from the world like a skin and placed onto paper where they can be investigated at leisure
- An extensive series of linoleum block print replicas of classic postage stamps.
- Botanical Monoprints
- Collagraphs of an abstract nature and scientific content
- Printer's Guild at the Printing, a Houston organization of Letterpress enthusiasts.
- Print Matters, a Houston organization of printmakers
- Volunteer: The Printing Museum, 1324 West Clay (closed by fire, May 2016)
- Lab Assistant in Darkroom Photography at The Glassell School, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Until 2015.
- Print Shop Monitor at The Glassell School, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Until 2015.